Wednesday, March 9, 2011

An enchanting experience : La Croissanterie Figaro

I thought this was just a croissant/breakfast type place but no, it makes its own beautiful cakes, it's open late, encourages lingering, has a beautiful atmosphere and a lovely, lovely terrasse in the summer. You should eat their chocolate mousse cake. Three layers of tasty heaven! Oh just eat it! I've tried a lot of chocolate mousse and this knocked off anything I have EVER tried. It was light and fresh and espresso soaked into the cake layers like Tiramisu. It's even kept lighter with a cocoa dusting instead of a thick layer of ganache. It's called the Chocolate Swirl Cheesecake and hands down, the best cheesecake in the city! It doesn't taste overly sweetened, overly cheese-y, or heavy. It has a little bit of tang from lemon juice which works beautifully with the cake's namesake chocolate swirls (thick shards of pure chocolate).


They also have the most unique carrot cake in the city. It does not go for glory by towering bland layers of suffocated cake with sheets of hydrogenated sugar cheese. This cake is 3 elegant, savory layers you can taste every piece of carrot, of walnut and of toasted almond in perfectly rich, smooth icing, just enough icing, never too much! I love my carrot cake swimming in icing, but this proved me wrong and gluttonous. The only thing I would change about this is adding dried fruit (diced raisins maybe or dates) for a bit of contrast or flavor in the cake itself. As it stands, it tastes more like a very good banana bread.


I would tell Croissanterie Figaro, to never let their dessert chef leave. Heck! I'll marry him if I could have these delicious bits of heaven every single day of my life, oh yeeaah! Mmmmm Honestly, Croissanterie Figaro is very lucky to have him and we are lucky to be able to taste such fine desserts over there!


1- Presentation of Dessert - 9
2- Taste -10
3- Authenticity -10
4- Freshness -10
5- Price Value Ratio- 9
6- Ambiance of Restaurant-9


La Croissanterie Figaro is located on 5200, rue Hutchison (at Fairmount), and is open daily from daily 7am-1am.

They have a website too! www.lacroissanteriefigaro.com


3 comments:

  1. This place is very close to my house.Next time I'm having a party, I'll be sure to buy a nice dessert from this place. Thanks for discovering this place for me


    Gen
    http://whatwearwhenforkids.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Guys, your blog is exactly for me. I'm passionate about different kinds of desserts, cakes, ice-cream cakes, etc. I often go to Première Moisson to buy cakes, but now I'll start exploring some new places. Great!

    ReplyDelete